Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Go Green or Go Home

I try to be as budget-friendly and eco-savy as I can. Part of that means reusing and creating new things from everyday trash and excess. Therefore, when I realized we had almost an entire gallon of the sour-apple-green paint leftover from our dining room project, I convinced Justin that we needed to paint our guest bathroom on a whim one Sunday morning.

In its past state of blandness, I was itching to get some color up, but two things stood in my way 1) I was indecisive about the color and 2) "didn't have time" to paint. Then, a Sunday rolled around that was free of any obligations or plans and I was chomping at the bit. It didn't take much to convince Justin, merely the words "I'll need a little (in a high voice) help from you, but I'll do most of it" and he was signed.

After removing the colorful things that jazzed up the room, it was as bare as the inside of a kleenex box. You can see that we ran out of painter's tape, which increased the production time, but (as I found out) not a necessity. This was my first venture into cutting in/edging without the blue protective barrier, but it was easy-peasy!



The green paint plays with the green stripe on the shower curtain perfectly and balances the ash gray expertly. It'll bring some liveliness to my guests' mornings, that's for sure.



Aside from the juicy wall color, the hippopotamus trash can makes me giggle every time I see him. Won't it be great once this is our kids' bathroom?



All of the accessories, curtain, and towels were accumulated over the course of a year or two and were just as budget friendly as the rest of my home. The paint, as previously mentioned, was left over from another home project. The shower curtain is sold at CB2 for $35 but I snagged mine for $15 at the Crate and Barrel outlet store last summer. The towels were wedding gifts and the fun animal accessories I have picked up here and there and haven't cost me more than $5 per piece. Clearance baby! In fact, the most expensive items were the bath rugs, but at $20 a pop, I couldn't say no to their slate knobbiness.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! It takes an average looking bathroom and gives the room some warmth and color.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have a question or just want to send a note? Leave it here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails